How many times have you have got Leh’d. Here’s some information to help you.
Check below for upcoming Rides to Ladakh !!!
What comes in our mind after hearing this place. Beautiful landscapes, bikes, monasteries, mountains, peace and lot of adventure.
Whenever we see any biker, we have just one question for him/her. When you are going for Ladakh trip? Why we do so? The answer is pretty simple. Ladakh is called Mecca for bikers. Every biker dreams of going there once in their lifetime. And whosoever goes to that place gets so much connected to that place, he/she cannot forget in their whole life.
So what’s exactly there that people are so excited about. I think we already know because there are thousands of blogs regarding bike trip to ladakh. You may easily find the routes to travel, the places to see, where you can stay and eat and lot of things. It doesn’t matter how much you have read about Ladakh you will be gonna have a very different experience. That’s the real beauty of Ladakh. Two people going whether in same group or different group can never have same experience about the place.
So in this blog I will tell you about the routes you can prefer and the places you must see in Ladakh but still I strongly recommend you that don’t follow anyone’s blog strictly. Make your own rules and just go for the journey. Because the real adventure of exploring Ladakh is not going with too much planning and it’s not about Ladakh this rule implies on any bike trip.
First of all you need to understand that Leh and Ladakh are not two different places. Leh is a part of Ladakh. Basically Jammu and Kashmir have three big regions: Jammu, Kashmir and Ladakh. And in Ladakh there are two big regions: Leh and Kargil.
The best season to travel in Ladakh is June to September. In these months you can easily go for the trip but still there are lot of bikers who travel in odd times to the place just to feel the place in a different way.
Like some celebrate their Christmas or new year there only that means you can still travel in November and December. But you should just ignore the monsoon season only.
The duration of the trip is ideally 12-15 days but I will again recommend you to take at least 3-4 days buffer time because after going there you also don’t know what will you see and may be you will fell so much in love to some place that you will wish to stay there for extra time. So it’s better to have some more hours than a regret for your journey.
From 2014 Indians don’t need any permit to visit Leh but there are some places in Ladakh like Tso Moriri, Merak, Loma, Chushul, Mahe and more for which you need inner line permit for Rs. 200 which can be obtained from Deputy commissioner office opens from 9am to 3pm.
For more information on permit you can visit the below link
There are so many people going from Delhi to Ladakh. If you have a bike I will prefer you to go from Delhi only or you can take a bike for rent from Delhi but if you wish to ride a bike in mountains and not on highways then you can prefer renting bike from Manali itself.
So if you are going from Delhi to Ladakh there are two routes which you can prefer.
Delhi -> Manali -> Leh
Delhi -> Srinagar -> Leh
We will again recommend you to take one route each way. Don’t go for the same route both the sides. In that way you will experience different landscapes and adventure.
Delhi → Jalandhar → Jammu → Srinagar → Kargil → Leh → Karu → Sarchu → Manali → Delhi
There are plenty of petrol pumps on the way from Srinagar to Leh but from Manali to Leh they are only two petrol pumps so always carry extra cans of petrol on the way from Manali to Leh.
Acute Mountain Sickness:
Acute Mountain Sickness occurs due to scarcity of oxygen at high altitude, and inability of our bodies to adjust to low oxygen content in air. You will have headache with at least one of the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, anorexia, fatigue or weakness, dizziness or lightheartedness and lack of sleep. So you just need to take precautions.
Don’t stay at high altitude passes for a long time and after reaching Leh take rest for one day so that your body can cope up and adjust with the temperature and environment.
Places to see:
Now this list can be very longer because there are lots of places to see and lots of things to do. It’s always a person’s own preference which place they personally like. Some people like to drive to most difficult terrains and do adventure sports but some people like to visit historical monuments and monasteries only and some people like to explore the culture. I am listing below main tourist attractions below. It’s not mandatory that you must visit all the places because your friends and colleagues went there and clicked the images. You should always create your own bucket list and then checkout the places. So choose your kind of places accordingly.
1. Pangong Tso Lake : The lake is stretched out for 134 kms in Himalayas. We have only one –third part in India and rest of the part is in china. You must have seen this in 3 idiots movie. The lake is so mesmerizing that you will fell in love with its nature and beauty.
2. Manjyal Tsemo Gompa / Monastery: It is very famous monastery in heart of Leh.
3. Zanskar Valley: Those who want to experience the adventure of riding that is the place you must visit. The beauty of this valley is so charming that you will never forget.
4. Nubra Valley: The journey to Nubra valley is claimed to be the world’s highest motorable road. The road officially crosses the Khardunga La Pass(18379 ft). There are lot of things to do here like Camel ride, hiking and walking on the dunes.
5. Royal Leh Palace: It is the 17th century royal leh palace built at a height of 9 stories.
6. Magnetic hill: It is located 30kms from Leh city. There’s a very famous mystery about this place that there’s some magnetic field that pulls you upwards but I just want to make it clear that its just a optical illusion. Actually you are going downwards and it seems you like you are going upwards to the mountain. Take my suggestion and try it with a water bottle pouring on the road.
7. Drass Valley: Situated in Kargil district, It is the second most coldest inhabited region in the world. The temperature here can drop as low as -45 degree Celsius in winters.
8. White water rafting: Rafting expedition is done on Zanskar river. You can choose the rapids as there are four level from I to IV. It is available from June to August. The same river in winters turns to ice blanket and called as Chadar trek. You can also explore Zanskar valley too.
Now apart from the above places there are lot of things to do, lot of places to see and lot of nature to explore. I will suggest take some time to explore the local city and culture. Meet with people and try their dishes and get to know with them. They are so humble and nice that you will be overwhelmed. All the best for your ladakh trip.
Check here for the upcoming Rides to ladakh
RIDE to Leh & Ladakh
LADAKH MOTORBIKE ROAD TRIP 2018
Leh Ladakh – Land of High passes
Leh to Kanyakumari
Stay adventurous and stay alive.
#RideToLadakh2018 #RideToLeh #LehLadakhMotorcycleTrip